background

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Easy Accent Pillows

     I recently read a decorating blog that talked about using cloth placemats or even table runners to make decorative accent pillows. I liked the idea that it could be so easy and I have been looking for ways to add more color to some of our decor. A couple weeks ago we volunteered to help with a charity yard sale and I found a set of 4 brand new cloth napkins that I thought would be perfect for this. They are a sage green suede fabric, 18" square and were brand new with the original price tags still attached. I got the set for $1! A total steal.
     All you need for this project is your napkins (or placemats), matching thread, and pillow stuffing. I already had the thread, and I found some stuffing on sale at JoAnns, so the entire project cost me about $3 per pillow. A much better deal than you could find buying accent pillows in a store.



     Pin 2 of the napkins right sides together and sew around the edges leaving an opening of about 3" on one of the sides. I would suggest trimming the corners after you have sewn, as shown below. This will help once you have turned it right side out so that the corners are not bunched with all the extra fabric.



     Turn right side out and stuff to desired fullness. Use a stuffing tool (one was provided with the stuffing I purchased) or a pencil or chopstick to poke the stuffing into the shape needed. It really does help to smooth out the lumps as you go. Once stuffed, stitch the opening closed using a needle and thread. Voila! Accent pillows.


No comments:

Post a Comment